Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Carrot-shrimp Spring rolls

Spring Rolls all ready to be eaten

Folded and ready to be fried


The start
Spring Rolls to me are an essential part of Indo-chinese cuisene. Whenever we go out to a chinese restaurant in India, we ALWAYS used to order this crispy fried roll of either vegetables or meat-veggie combo. The most difficult part is to do the wrappers right. In Indian restaurants, these spring roll wrappers are always made fresh from scratch using all-purpose flour and egg mixture. I have done that twice or amybe thrice in my cooking lifetime. But somehow, it always misses its mark. The wrapper doesnot turn out that great.
One fine day on my visit to our local supermarket. I literally stumbled upon these organic ready to be fried and eaten wrappers. Welcome to the Nasoya brand of goodies. These were really good as compared to the other brands I have tried. And since these were made of soy, I felt less guilty of eating fried rolls. Though I am sure these can be oven-fried, I was impatient enough to try them fried.
Made them on my whim and they were great. I used the basic recipe given on the back of the wrappers. ofcourse, I made my own changes.
Recipe:
6 wrappers
1 cup grated carrot
2 tsp grated ginger
1 bunch spring onions finely chopped
salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
2 tsp oil for cooking
6 shrimps finely chopped
2 tsp oyster sauce
Oil for shallow frying
Preparation:
Heat a wok and add oil to it. Once hot, add shrimps and ginger and let it cook. Then add carrots and spring onions and stir fry on high heat for 2-3 mins. Turn of the flame and then add salt, pepper and oyster sauce to taste.
Let the mixture cool.
Take a single wrapper and scoop 1 tsp of mixture onto it. Fold and roll the wrapper and seal it with water. Finish folding all the wrappers per the packet directions. Heat a frying pan and add oil to it. When hot enough fry rolls in it. Fry on medium heat so that the wrappers are cooked from inside too and are golden-brown crispy on the outside.
Serve hot with ketchup or any other of your fav sauce.
Dipti



No comments:

Post a Comment