Thursday, August 20, 2009

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

Banana Bread cut and ready to serve

Warm Banana Bread...made mine in a cake pan


The batter ready to be put in the oven



The ingredients
My ex-colleague often used to get great banana bread to office. That's when I fell in love with it. She told me the best way to eat banana bread is warm, with little butter on the top. Ofcourse the banana bread she used to get was from a ready-mix packet, but still it was great. Many months and a pregnancy with banana bread craving later, I had my first home-made banana bread at a friend's baby shower. And guess what???? It was whole wheat bread AND instead of butter used olive oil. Now some people (my husband S) might argue that banana bread tastes great with all-purpose flour and butter, but with a kid now, I am looking for heathier options.
This bread had more of cake like consistency and it was moist and tasted great.
The best part about banana bread??? the way the entire house smells when baking it. For me, some smells remind me of my childhood and the fun I had. Banana bread smell makes me feel warm and comfortable and safe. :)
Recipe:
3 very ripe bananas
1 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar, take little more if you like it sweet
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon powder - optional
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl.I donot like big chunks of banana in my bread, so i mashed mine extra fine. Mix in all the ingredients one by one, add the flour in the last. You just need a spoon to mix the ingredients. I did not have vanilla so added just the cinnamon. Pur the mixture in a baking pan. Cake pan, in my case:) bake for 1 hour and your house will smell wonderfully delicious. Cool and cut and serve. Moist and wonderful banana bread is ready.
Like my friend said, the best way to eat banana bread- Warm with butter spread on the top.
Dipti


1 comment:

  1. I agree, the best part of banana bread is the smell that fills your home when you are baking it! I haven't tried mine yet with whole wheat flour although I have used w.w. flour in many other recipes.

    I forgot that we used to put butter on it when we were growing up...thanks for the reminder. We'll have to try it next time!

    My recipe is at http://www.squidoo.com/best-ever-banana-bread-recipe and I have included tips that I have learned over the years, if you would care to have a look!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete