Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Simple Moong Dal

Aromatic Moong Dal

I remember my mom making this dal whenever we used to get bored of veggies. This protein rich dal is very easy to make but is flavorful and easy to digest. I remember when I had my baby, my mom used to make this dal atleast thrice a week. The recipe I have below is an exact version of my mother's. I usually make this dal when my refrigerator is low on veggies, am too bored to run to the grocery store and whenever we are expecting or had a heavy lunch/dinner.

Recipe:
1/2 cup moong dal
1 small onion minced
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp roasted corriander powder
1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
1/4 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
pinch of garam masala
salt to taste
sugar to taste
cilantro for garnish
2 tsp oil to cook
Preparation:

Soak moong dal in warm water for atleast 2 hrs. Drain and keep it. Heat a kadai and warm up the oil in it. Once hot, add mustard seeds. When they start sputtering add cumin seeds and the curry leaves. Add onion and let it cook. Then add ginger-garlic paste, tumeric, red chilli powder, corriander and cumin powder. Stir fry for 1 min and add the soaked dal. Stir fry again for 1 min and let the spices mix with it properly. Then add 1 cup water, cover and cook till the dal is well done. Lower the flame to mediu-low so that it doesnt get burned. Adjust the quantity of water according to your needs, but traditionally, this dal is not runny. After the dal is cooked, add garam masla powder, salt and little sugar to taste. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve it with hot chappatis and ghee.
Enjoy
Dipti





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete