Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Stir fried Swiss Chard

Stir Fried Red Swiss Chard


Coming to the US, I have made peace with my heart, mind and stomach that not all Indian vegetables will be available here but that I should make do with the locally available produce and use them as much as possible. Growing up, I used to eat lots of greens or rather my mom used to make me eat them, but in all fairness, they were delicious. One day while yapping to my friends about the dearth of "Indian" greens over here, someone mentioned Red Swiss Chard which is similar to a type of green leafy vegetable we get in Indian. So I drove to my farmers market, got me someof those colorful looking leaves and planned out the menu for lunch. They tasted somewhat similar to the bhaajii I used to eat in India but needed more onion and garlic. I liked it. S hates greens as it is. Duckie was suspicious but ate some of it. The verdict..??? This is now a regular at my house for lunch.:))
Recipe:
1 bunch of swiss chard
4 cloves of garlic- i love garlic
1/2 onion
2 tsp oil
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
sugar to taste
note: I rarely ever add any spices in greens. I love them simple, stir fried with onions and garlic.
Preparation:
Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida when hot. Then add garlic and brown it a little. Then add onion and let it cook completely. Then add the swiss chard leaves and cook them till wilted and they lose the bitter taste. Add salt and sugar according to taste. This type of grrens doesnot handle reheating very well. So make this just before eating and serve hot with a side of yogurt, chappati or rice.
Enjoy
Dipti





No comments:

Post a Comment