Sunday, April 4, 2010

Fish Cutlet

Cod Fish Cutlets

Cutlets before frying
Here's how it goes at my house.
my duckie: I want fish. mamma!! I WANT FISH FRYYYYY!!!
me: ok, I will ask baba to go and get some from that shop which is 25miles drive away.
my duckie: no, i want it. fishieeeeeeeeee!!!
me: Ok, I will get some tilapia/salmon/cod fish for you. my poor kid, you wont know the enjoy of eating Arabian sea fish like pomfret, bombil, ravas, surmai and ghol..
So, I drive alll the way upto either meijers or jewel and pick up whatever fresh fish they have. Mind you, the fish we get here isnt exactly as fresh as the fish we get in India..I miss fresh fish.
So i get home some fresh cod and decide what to do. Curry making is out of question because duckie had demanded something fried. So I flash back to my office colleague who had gotten this absolutely fantastic ghol fish cutlets for lunch one day. I think I had gobbled up her entire lunch. So now thinking back and scratching my brain, I tried to remember the ingredients and the -procedure. Of course i trolled the internet too. What I did was an amalgamation of my preferences and few recipes tossed around.
The verdict: both hubby and son loved it. I froze some and fried them on a later day when I was in dire need of snacks.
Recipe:
1/2 lb cod fish, cleaned
marinate with:
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
salt to taste
1 large potato
1 tsp garam masala powder
handful bread crumbs
1 bunch green onions- only the green onions part, diced
handful chopped cilantro
oil for frying
Procedure:
Marinate the fish the usual way. Pressure cook the fish and the potato seperately. Drain water from fish. Heat oil, add cooked fish, garam masala and saute till fishy smell disappears. Add green onions, breadcrumbs, potato and cilantro. MIx well. Make small patties and dredge in rice flour. Shallow fry till brown and crispy on both sides. Serve hot with ketchup. Makes around 20 patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment