Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup...or stew

Almost a stew but not quite so a hearty soup...
I love chicken noodle soup. My fav is the one that someone else makes for me..:) But then that is true for any kind of meal.:) Chicken noodle soup is supposedly very good for your body especially when you are down with cold, flu and similar things. So i decided to make "my own recipe". I searched the internet high and low for different recipes, read quite a few books on soups and finally came up with my own version of Chicken Noodle Soup. I had warned S that this was a stomach-filling-as-good-as-any-meal soup but still he had to go and call it a stew. Though in hindsight, if it had been a little thicker, it would have been a hearty stew instead of a hearty soup. Well I liked it though and duckie loved it.
I made my own broth for this soup.
Recipe:
for the broth:
6 cups water
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
carrot trim ends
onion trim end
celery stalks
peppercorns, bayleaf, rosemary stalks
chicken pieces w/ or without bones.
Boil all the above ingredients together till the broth reduces to about 4 cups and the chicken is cooked. Discard the veggie bits and ends along with the chicken bones if any.
Soup:
4 cups chicken broth
2 carrots diced
1/2 onion diced
handful of peas
veggies like celery, beans, corn , bell pepper around 1/2 cup
rosemary 1 tsp finely chopped
black pepper and salt to taste
1/4 cup egg noodles or spaghetti
Boil all the above ingredients together till the noddles and veggies are cooked through and serve hot w/ or w/o a blob of butter. This soup is full of all the goodness of the veggies and chicken. Best cure for a sad wintry day.
Enjoy
Dipti!

No comments:

Post a Comment