Saturday, April 25, 2009

Grilled Veggie Sandwich



My husband S loves Sandwiches. Be it egg, chicken or veggies. Sandwiches can be described as complete food when it contains veggies and some kind of protein like egg, chicken. My mom mainly used to make veggie sandwiches or chutney sandwiches. Simple sandwiches with cucumber, tomato, butter, coconut chutney and maybe grilled or not were my favorite. My neighbor used to make awesome egg-potato sandwiches which me and my sister used to love. Sandwiches in India were really simple, right? Plain white bread usually "wibs", butter, tomato ketchup and green chutney were the only condiments used. But those sandwiches used to be delicious.

This sandwich I made is my mother-inlaws recipe. My mother's recipe is similar but instead of dry chutney, her chutney had more liquid. I used italian bread for this sandwich. This is an Indian sandwich and for that I have used many Indian ingredients except for the bread:)

Recipe:

Italian bread 1 loaf

Amul butter - absolutely delicious..dont mind the calories for this one

Grated coconut either fresh or pre-packaged will do

Cilantro

2-3 green chilllies

salt to taste

veggies of your choice: I use tomato, potato, cucumber

ketchup - I serve this on side to prevent the sandwiches from being soggy.

I use george foreman grill to grill the sandwich, but I am sure grilling in oven will have the same effect.


Preparation:

Make sure that the butter is at room temperature and easily spreadable.

wash and chop the cilantro. chop the chillies into small pieces. wash and cut the tomato and the cucumber into circles. Boil and peel the potato and cut into circular pieces.

Warm up the grill and keep it ready. Take 2 slices of bread. Butter up one side of a single slice of bread -if you are health concious both side if you are not :)I butter up both slices for me, and one slice for my husband:)) layer the veggies on the slice of bread and then put the dry chutney. sprinkle salt per taste. When the grill is hot, put the assembled sandwiches in the grill. Brush the outer sides of the sandwich with olive oil or butter so that the sandwich turns really toasty.

Cut and serve the sandwich with ketchup on side.

In the above picture I served the sandwich with some kala chana or bengal gram salad and chips. This sandwich is perfect for breakfast. Serve with some salad or soup and make it into lunch or dinner.









No comments:

Post a Comment