Monday, April 27, 2009

Party Food

I have a party at my house this saturday. There are over 14 adults and 6 kids in total. This time I have decided to cook everything all by myself instead of having a potluck. After days of thinking up the menu and many many considerations later, I have come up with the following menu:

Sev puri: Basically I just have to boil the potatoes and dice up onions and tomato and cilantro. I have chat masa ready. Tamrind chutney is always there in my fridge and green chtney hardly takes any time. The best part is I can assembel the puris and potato well beforehand and then the guest can serve themself with whatever toppings they need. Neat, huh?

Ragda Pattice: Another crowd pleaser. I will boil and make the pattice on friday itself and keep it in the fridge. Then on saturday, in afternoon i will shallow fry the pattice and keep them ready. When the guest start arriving, I will pop them into the oven and they will remian warm till dinner. Ragda hopefully wont take much time and should be done by morning so that it gets more flavorful by evening. Rest of the toppings will be same as sev puri so work will be easy for me.

Veg Pulav: I have a very simple pulav in mind. Nothing fancy. just plain veggies like carrots, peas and french beans. Packaged garam masla and pulav masala, Some yougurt added while cooking veggies, some vegetable stock added while making rice and presto! i have a great pulav:)

Kokum saar -sweet version: I love this saar. The sweet-sour taste is a perfect accompaniment to any spicy dish especially rice. Its mainly eaten with pulav, "masale bhaat" etc.

Kulfi: The perfect dessert to finish up whenever chaat is served. My mom came up with this idea. I was racking my brains as what would be the perfect dessert, because somehow kheer, cake, sheera, gulab jamun were not right. I was thinking more like ice popsicles but my mom had this great idea. She even gave me the recipe. I , obviously have tweaked it a little to suite my taste. Thanks mamma!! So malai kulfi it is:)

now for the kiddies menu: Since there are going to be atleast 6 kids and not all kids eat ragda pattice, i decided to cook something special for them. Even my duckie doesnt eat chaat. So I am going to make moth(matki) lentils, rice, varan( maharashtrian dal) and chappatis (well actually phulkes)

I am going to do this all be myself. I hope I am able to do it. Will post later about how successful or not was the party menu. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment