Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Egg Fried Rice





When I was in India, I used to eat loads of indo-chinese food. I still do that. Manchurian was my perennial favorite which we used to have with either fried rice or hakka noodles. The first chinese dish I learnt to cook was fried rice and is the most easiest one for me. The only thing is, chopping for veggies take a lot of time so I start the chopping 2 days in advance. I add loads of veggies - cabbage, carrot, french beans, spring onions, white onions, green bell pepper etc. And i like to slice them very thinly.

I did not use any special rice for this dish justy the usual basmati rice that you get here. But I did add chicken stock while cooking. It just tastes better with it. Ofcourse, its optional. A little soy sauce, a little chilli sauce, a pinch of salt, a dash of black pepper and this rice was ready:) My little duckie loved this rice so much that he wouldnt eat anything else the entire day. And I added some scrambled eggs( i dont add milk while preparing these just plain salt and pepper).


Recipe:
2 Cups basmati rice
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup sliced green (french) beans
1/2 cup green/red/yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup spring onions cut into small rounds, white and greens separate
1/2 cup thinly sliced white onion
salt to taste
pepper to taste
3 tsp soy sauce ( i use chings)
1 1/2 tsp red chilli sauce (i use chings)
2 eggs scrambled with salt and pepper.
Oil for cooking
Preparation:
Cook the white rice separatley in a heavy bottom pan instead of a pressure cooker. This helps the rice grains to cook properly and they separate out into individual grains. For cooking 2 cups rice use 4 cups of water. I sometimes use chicken stock for cooking rice, this increases the flavor. Heat a wok/ kadai on high flame. Add oil and let it get hot. Add white sliced onions and stirfry it for a minute. Add carrot and stir fry it for a minute. Add french beans and stir fry it for a minute. Similarly add bell pepper and thinly shredded cabbage stirfrying it for a minute. The key is to add veggies which take a while to cook, eg. carrot and french beans first and then add rest of the stuff. After the veggies are done add soy sauce, salt, pepper, chilli sauce in quick successions and saute for a minute. Then add the cooked rice and mix well. top it with scrambled eggs and serve as EGG FRIED RICE. This rice tastes good as it is or with any indo-chinese dish like manchurian or chilli chicken.
S loves this dish and my little duckie loves it too. This quick to make and great to eat rice dish is definately a keeper:)

No comments:

Post a Comment