Monday, May 11, 2009

Picnic


My in-laws and my brother-inlaw w/ his g.f were here last weekend. Since it was supposed to be nice and sunny on friday, we dedcided to go to the zoo. The zoo near our place doesnt have that good food and I always wanted a chance to picnic at the zoo.
So 2 days before the day I went grocery. This time I made a list and that really helps:). I was in and out of the grocery store in 45 mins. Otherwise I usually take around ateast hour and half. So making a list helps and ofcourse the fact that my duckie was on a walk with his grandpa and might go home anytime.
Then a day before the picnic I prepped and half-cooked everything. Since this was the first time that I was having a picninc with my son, I wanted to take something with me that he would love and wouldnt be too time consuming. So here is the menu:
Potato chips.
Bengal Gram channa salad
Spinach Parathas
Grilled Chicken sandwiches.
No Soda but plain water.

Potato Chips: No picnic is complete without potato chips. I love potato chips. A walk down the chips aisle and I go crazy. So many different flavors. So many varities. And chips not only from potatoes but sweet potatoes, corn etc..But for the picnic instead of the sea salt -pepper, jalapeno, barbecue, onion sour cream, ranch, masala etc etc I go for the plain chips. My mom makes potato chips at home. Dries up the potato slices and fry them in oil. Season them accordingly with salt, pepper red chilli powder, lemon, chaat masala etc. Now if I had my mom's patience and perseverence then I would have made my own chips and taken them with me. And they taste fantastic. But this time it was a big bag of plain potato chips.

Bengal Gram channa salad: I have posted this salad before. This dish tastes better even if its made 1 day in advance. So I soaked and cooked channa I day before. I cut and diced the tomatoes and onion the next day. This time I didnot add any cucumber or boiled potato. But just garnished it with cilantro and chaat masala. Everyone enjoyed this dish.

Grilled Chicken sandwich: This was very easy to make. I grilled the chicken a day before. toasted the bread- kaiser buns this time before going to the picnic. sliced the tomatoes and went to the picnic. At the picnic I just assembled the sandwich. This time it was a cold sandwich. S loves hot sandwiches but this one tasted as good so it didnt matter. I had 2 of these. Wait for the recipe.

Spinach PArathas: Not all parathas taste good cold. But spinach is and exception. They can be taken on a picnic or a travelling journey. S didnot have any parathas but my inlaws did and so did my duckie.

Chocolate cupcakes: I made this cupcake from a pre-packaged box. But since it was a picnic, it didnt matter and no one cared. It was as good.

All in all we had a great time out in the sun. The animals were awake thankfully. There were no accidents, mishaps or even minor injuries. The food was good and tasted good. So it was a successful picnic and I hope I have many more of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment