Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Green chutney - for idlis

The ingredients for the green chutney







Green chutney- all ready to be eaten
There are different kinds of chutneys in Indian cuisine. This is one of my favorite that I like with my idlis/dosas/meduvadas. I think I like it because this chutney is so versatile. It tastes good with anything and everything. I think my sambar and idlis/dosas turn out like my mom's, so whenever I make this chutney, its the missing piece which completes my entire ensemble and reminds me of my mom's cooking.
My mom tempers this chutney bbut many times I dont. So I guess thats the main difference.
Recipe:
1 cup chivada dal
1/4 cup grated coconut
handful chopped and washed cilantro 3-4 green chillies, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp cumin seeds and little more
salt to taste
1 tsp jaggery or sugar
water for blending
Preparation:
Mix all the ingredients in a blender and blend well adding water little at a time. adjust according to the consistency. The chutney should taste little spicy with hint of sweetness because of jaggery. For additional drama and flavor temper with 2 tsp oil, pinch of asafoetida and 1 tsp mustard seeds.
Enjoy with idlis/dosas/medu vadas. This chutney doesnot keep well in the fridge for more than 2-3 days because of coconut and tastes best when fresh.
Dipti

No comments:

Post a Comment