Monday, September 27, 2010

Cherry tomatoes Rasam

Spicy rasam with a sweet undertone
I love rasam. And as I am typing this, I just remembered that there are tons of tomatoes beggiing to be turned into rasam for me. Till now, rasam for me meant something I got at our local restaurant or some failed attempt I tried to make by copying recipe from behind of a rasam powder packet. but this is definitely my go to and must have recipe. I have blended 2 different recipes together and come up with my own. And thanks to my friend R who has been sending my rasam by the bucketloads. I made my rasam with cherry tomatoes and it was a little sweet to taste. Use roma tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes.
Recipe:
Rasam powder:
3/4 cup corriander seeds
1/4 cup black peppercorns
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 TBS chana da
1/2 TBS toor dal
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 dry chillies
2 sprigs curry leavs
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
dry roast all the ingredients seperately and grind them fine. Store in an airtight container in freezer for months. You will need around 2 tsp for 2-3 tomatoes.
Rasam:
10 cherry tomatoes, you can use 2 roma tomatoes
6 peppercorns
2 cloves garlic for grinding
1 tsp cumin seeds for grinding
2 cloves garlic for grinding
2 green chillies for grinding
1 tsp cumin seeds for tempering
1 tsp mustard seeds for tempering
oil for tempering
1 sprig curry leaves
cilantro
1" tamarind pulp
salt and sugar for taste
2 tsp rasam powder, add more later if desired
Procedure:
Boil and mash the tomatoes coarsely. Blend in blender along tamarind pulp. Coarsely grind garlic, peppercorns, green chililes and add to tomatoes. I like my rasam pulpy so i never strain. But otherwise strain. Boil this liquid in a pot and add the rasam powder. Heat other kadai and add oil to it. The add mustard seeds, cumin, garlic and curry leaves for tempering. Add this to the boiling rasam. Add salt and sugar to taste. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serve hot with rice or have it as it is as a soup.
Enjoy
Dipti

No comments:

Post a Comment